Janet’s Kindle

Kindle

What began as a vague curiosity became more intriguing as I researched the Kindle. I didn’t feel a need for one until I started daydreaming about a long summer reading list. It’s not that I don’t love to have a book in my hand and it’s not that I don’t love a spontaneous trip to the library, but my trips to the library don’t often yield success — there are plenty of books there but rarely the ones I want to read when I want to read them. So when Debbie recommended that I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, I added it to my “To Read” list on GoodReads. When I clicked through the links to the different sites offering the book, I noticed that it was offered in a Kindle version for a little over $7. While I was viewing all the different books offered in the Kindle store, I noticed that there were many, many books that could be downloaded for free (literary classics that are currently in the public domain). That’s when I began to seriously consider asking for one for my birthday. And I eventually did just that.

Kindle

I’ve mentioned to many of you that I really do love and enjoy it. I insisted that it wouldn’t replace actual books (as if!) and yet, some appear to be skeptical about a device that holds potentially up to 1500 books. If you enjoy reading, you would enjoy a Kindle. Simple.

1. Debbie says:

So glad you liked that book! I so wanted to become friends with many of the characters in the book. Have wondered about the Kindle but can’t imagine reading without the feel of paper between my fingers. No one around here that I know of has one for me to play with. I got an Ipod Touch two weeks ago but can’t get it to talk to my WiFi at home. Sigh.

2. Annie says:

Yes, I do LOVE my kindle! I don’t know how I’ve ever lived with out it! Ok, well maybe not that bad – but since I purchased it, I have been able to read a lot more since I carry it with me everywhere!

3. Jackie says:

I’ve often wondered about the kindle. Not sure I could used to reading something so small but on the other hand, how easy it would be to always have a book with you!

4. D a r i n says:

Nice!! a new blog?!! I love how you embrace new technologies like the Kindle for reading all while making sure real books will still be part of your life!!

5. stacey says:

Simply wonderful. :)

6. Janet says:

Thank you, everybody; I have some fuzzy, half-formed ideas for this new blog and hope to share more this week.

7. Vanessa says:

I’ve heard REALLY good things about the Kindle, so I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying it. I heard it even has a feature where it looks like the pages are actually “flipping”?

I should log onto GoodReads and see what your reading list is – I’ve been reading a lot more now that we cancelled cable. :)

(Love the blog, btw.)

8. Margie says:

I’ve pretty much decided that I’m getting Bill a Kindle for Father’s Day. I know he will love it. He’s making an effort to read the classics because he said he “never had time when he was young!”

9. Jennie says:

I’ve been wanting one too. Though it’s not gonna be the kindle, (well I don’t think) because the sony reader seems to be a bit more my style. Pros and cons I suppose. But I definetly want a digital reader someday soon. :)

btw, I like the new site. I’ve been in the process of getting another site up of just me and such.

10. Kindle Store says:

My Friend Asked me to Read your Post simply janet » Blog Archive » Janet’s Kindle on Friday.Your post is Well written.Please Keep it up .I Love reading on kindle store.

1. [...] also reading The Blue Zones, a fascinating book about longevity. Although I purchased it to read on my Kindle, many of the other books I’ve been reading are from the bookstore or the library — [...]

2. spray tanning salons near you 43147